Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Concept Board and Color Mixing
















I can now say that I am a Master's candidate for Textile Print Design!


Classes have officially started and I am venturing into my first project: a floral print design based on an assigned color word and an assigned tactile word. The color word is "chill" and the tactile word is "punctual". The word, punctual, threw me for a loop as I scrambled to equate punctual to the sense of touch. I associated it with clear and defined edges with a smooth texture.


We made concept boards for color. This is mine (at the third try):

















Mixing colors to match the concept board:

















The assignment is to create a floral motif that fits in a 27" x 27" repeat that will span across 54" cloth, typical size of cloth for home furnishings. For the flower, I am choosing the lotus flower. Tonight, I'll be working on abstracting the lotus into a "punctual" and "chill" design while experimenting on some textured gesso on paper, mesh, and tracing paper.


No comments: